Monday, January 7, 2013

Mystery Genre Appeal


  • Write one page, using format requirements in the syllabus, about why the Mystery Genre appeals to you. 
  • Share with your audience specific books/films/stories/plays you have seen and why they remain in your memory. 
  • What made each of these examples special to you?

              The mystery genre appeals to me because I am one for intrigue, and ad Sherlock 

once or twice was quoted as the "element of surprise". I guess it appeals to me because I 

like to figure out just as much as the next person who did it and try to fit all the clues 

together. In my mind, it is like trying to solve a 3-D puzzle. You have the base (the victim), 

all the pieces (the evidence) and the shapes (the suspects) and the colors (which is the 

facts that are given to you). They must all be intertwined into whatever this 3-D image is, 

but the catch is they only fit a particular way and the colors and shapes must match! But if 

one piece fits but the colors are wrong, you have to take it apart and start over again! Also,  

the mystery genre is an art form one that encompasses great soliloquy and captures ones 

imagination. For example, Harry Potter; I never read the books so it was a mystery for me 

as to what was going to happen next or what was going to come about on the next section 

after the great thunderous noise that arose from the....wait what am I saying? See a great 

mystery is like an art form because it captivates me and holds my interest and keeps one on 

the edge of the seat with your heart racing and sweaty palms as to what is going to happen 

next and if the person who has some form of involvement is the next to die or if it is really 

that person who you thought it was, or even a mind blower, someone who you never 

thought it would be like in the movie we watched, The Mystery of Mr. Wong. I remember I 

had gone to one of my friend's sister's play when she was in middle school. It was about a 

cruise ship and murder was committed when someone shot this person in a struggle and 

threw him over the ship. (it turned out that it was my friend's 'husband' in the play!) But it 

was a dinner and a movie play, so it made it a little more intriguing! It remained in my 

memory because it was one of the first plays that I ever saw like that and because I enjoyed 

trying to figure out who did it! Another example was the first time I saw the Chronicles of 

Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader in the theater. I can not tell you how many times I 

have read this book from cover to cover. And the mystery and suspense of feeling like I was 

actually apart of this and that it was still a mystery to me, intrigued me! The reason these 

have stayed with me are because of the intrigue of who did it, or what is going to jump out 

from around the next corner or who will be the next victim? I like a good mystery...Do you?



       

No comments:

Post a Comment