Wednesday, January 23, 2013

the setting

     Cradled high beneath the mountain's watchful eyes, is a sapphire blue lake, a highly valued prize.Two little islands call it home, with trees very much overgrown.   An ancient lake that holds secrets, has seen the struggles of settler's past. In the Adirondack Mountains it has found it's home, and forever it will call them home!  Hugged by rustic trees and leaves, fall is the best time to see. It is shaped like a horseshoe, but alas, it is not horseshoe pond. It is my favorite spot to to gaze upon.

      They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, there is one at the bottom,  I have been starting to write this over at least six times. I cannot find the right words to describe this place that will fill a whole page worth of writing, except for the six sentences that I have already written above. No words can describe the beauty of this place. I will try one last time.


      Clouds roll back off the mountains as the sun tries to wake up the lake, on a crisp fall morning. Nestled under the watchful eyes of the majestic mountains called the Adirondack Mountains. Gazing from the top of the mountain looking down at almost painted scenery, from Bob Ross or Jean LeGassick's Plein Air,  there lies a placid lake, so beautiful and tranquil. On the right day it looks like blue sapphire glass.  Encompassed inside of these waters, wherein lie two overgrown islands that look like buttons. But they have names. The smaller of the two is called Buck Island, the larger of the two is called Moose Island.  This is a very serene and isolated spot, so if quiet time to oneself is ever needed, her would be the place to visit. The fall is the most beautiful time to visit here. The colors of the changing leaves engulf the outer edges of the lake, making looking at it more and more unreal, like you are in a dream. About an hour away from the Canadian border, you can stumble upon this lake and all the hopes and dreams that people have left behind. Just writing about this is making my heart yearn to go back and stay. I wish I could please my heart, writing this is a real tease. But winter does not last forever, and soon the splendor of spring will be around the corner and I will be able to go to this place of magic and enchantment that brings one back to childhood memories of those 'lazy days' of summer!  To each their favorite spot, that encompasses their dreams and loves, my favorite spot is encompassed here, in these almost purple mountains, where I feel like I am home!

 







No comments:

Post a Comment